Friday, January 11, 2019

Sick World records and distro interview


1.Could you tell a bit more about sick world records and distro ?

Sick world records and distro said:

 The name of the distro was pinched from a Broken Bones track of the Stitched Up album. the whole thing was started when I began to get frustrated with not being able to order what I wanted from local shops and knowing others wanted the same thing started approaching DIY labels for items, postage to New Zealand from abroad is pretty expensive so it started to make sense to buy in larger quantities to get wholesale prices and kind of just grew from there. It is still a small distro run out of a corner of a room of my home and is a labor of love rather than any kind of business venture.

2.When did you start with the sick world records and distro and are the bands satisfied with your services?

Sick world records and distro said:

 I started the distro around 1999 just bringing in 7"s mainly from the USA, post from there now is a bit too expensive so I concentrate on stock mainly the UK, Europe and Australia these days. As for the vinyl on our own label that started in late 2011 it was a split LP with two local New Zealand bands Gripper and Vicious Rumor. I was totally inexperienced with releasing vinyl and made pretty much every mistake you could make, so in short the packaging wasn't great although the recording itself is real good quality, and the pressing plant lost my test presses , lost my specially blended colored vinyl I ordered and managed to change a 4 month turnaround into a 9 month nightmare. Still we managed a release party thanks my good friend Tim who runs Punk Rock Road Trips/Whatever Events the bands got more vinyl than they were going to get and despite my shortcomings they all still talk to me. If you want to release a record and are not sure what can go wrong ask me I've lived through it all.Following releases were either handled by an associate in the UK who knows what he is doing or are split label releases so haven't had to be the first point of contact.
      
 3.What bands can expect from you?

Sick world records and distro said:

 What can bands expect from me? Honesty I hope, I make them aware that with vinyl releases they wont get rich, I'll give them a certain amount of copies to sell at gigs give away what ever they want but if they want more they get them at cost, pressing vinyl is an expensive exercise and if not managed properly it will send you broke fast. Here in New Zealand we no longer have a pressing plant although one supposed to be starting up very soon,the scene is fairly small but there are quite a few labels and distro's so for the time being at least I'm concentrating on doing split label releases with labels and bands from abroad, it speads the stock out and the costs, most of which so far has been with Kibou Records and The Domestics.

4.Could you give some advice to bands about the underground scene?

Sick world records and distro said:

If you cant afford to release your own record certainly look at a label to help out, don't think they are a bottomless pit of cash after all its the DIY scene not Sony or EMI but most of them have experience and know what they are doing, the label might also have a relationship with other DIY labels abroad that they have worked with in the past to help you get you record out there to  other parts of the world as well.

5.Could you say something at the end for the blog All for one and one for all?

Sick world records and distro said:

 Thanks Azra for taking the time to hunt me down and ask a few questions. When it omes to doing a label its best to do it because you enjoy it and like interacting with others, I like to treat it as a social occasion and a good way to meet others.

No comments:

Post a Comment