Friday, November 9, 2018

Kibou Records - Label & Distro interview

https://kibourecords.bigcartel.com/?fbclid=IwAR1bzOSTPlx01LJ2J4tecqt73VEsQy5YTTfekjMplP6Zw28BeMhmwZsvp6M




1.    Could you tell a bit more about the Kibou record label?

Kibou record label said :

Well it really started in 2012 as a vehicle for putting out the first album from my band, THE DOMESTICS. Then the first 7”…after a while I started getting sent stuff from bands and ended up doing other things like the ‘Without Kibou…’ compilation 7”s, the HARAMARAH 7”…I still usually co-release most of THE DOMESTICS’ stuff but have also put out stuff by GUILT POLICE, WOLFHOUR, III GUERRA, RASH DECISION, MILD SHAG, NEGATIV, SOCIETY’s DECLINE, BRING THE DRONES (a project band I’m in with Charlie Cimex, Denis from DOOM etc.)…loads of stuff really. Hardcore, d-beat, that kind of thing. I’m pretty fussy though!
The most recent co-release was the PIZZATRAMP / THE DOMESTICS split 5”, which has been really popular. I’m currently putting together a UKHC compilation with PIZZATRAMP, GRAND COLLAPSE, WOLFBEAST DESTROYER, THE DOMESTICS, GUILT POLICE and RASH DECISION…I think that’s going to blow people away!For those that don’t know, Kibou is Japanese for ‘hope’.

2. When did you start with the Kibou record label and are the bands satisfied with your services?

Kibou record label said :

Like I said, around 2012. The first thing I did was a CD but I do almost exclusively vinyl now. I like to think all the bands have been happy with the work I’ve put into their releases – I’ve heard no complaints anyway!

3. What bands can expect from you?

Kibou record label said :


That I will help them if I can and I like their music enough. Pressing records has become increasing expensive over the past 4 or 5 years so I have to really LOVE something to get involved with it. I’m just a guy with an ordinary, and quite demanding, job. I don’t have much spare time or money so I just do what I can. Sometimes I have to turn down bands that I really would like to help simply because I just don’t have the time or money at that moment in time. That said, there are lots of bands that send me stuff that, if they really knew anything about the label and its releases, they’d realise is just not my thing. Note to bands: stop sending me ska-punk, super-generic crust or grind, or pop-punk…I hate that stuff!

4. Could you give some advice to bands about the underground scene?

Kibou record label said :

Everyone hates a bullshitter. I’m a straight down the line type when it comes to dealing with people. I’ll help where I can – with advice on vinyl pressing (I get asked about this A LOT), gig contacts, whatever. I seek out people to work with that I think have the same attitude.
It’s amazing how every time I put a record out a TON of bands immediately get in touch to ask about putting their record out…this is actually the worst time to contact most DIY labels…think about it, they’ve sunk a shitload of money into a release – a few months before the record comes out - and are now trying to make that money back; they probably have no money at that time.
The best advice I can give is check out what labels will best suit the music you make – don’t just hit up every label you can find; it looks really shitty when bands do that; it’s so indiscriminate. If you really like a label, check out – and support – that label. Why should people buy YOUR record when you don’t support the label you’ve just asked to put your bands’ record out? It just looks like you’re all take and no give and makes you look both desperate and self-entitled. Have a real DIY attitude and be fucking real about it.

5.Could you say something at the end for the blog All for one and one for all?

Kibou record label said :


Cheers for getting in touch, I’ve checked out the All for One and One For All blog and it’s really good; done in the right spirit. Keep it up!
If anyone is interested in Kibou Records, there’s a Facebook page, a bandcamp page (it needs updating, it’s missing a few releases!) and the main site at www.kibourecords.bigcartel.com where there are all the labels’ releases plus a ton of records that I distro for other labels and bands.
Thanks again! James/Kibou Records

No comments:

Post a Comment